When it comes to colds and flus, naturopathic philosophy focusses on preventing infection and reducing recovery time by fortifying and boosting the immune system. Because we consider each person as an individual, no one treatment plan will be right for all. I encourage you to discuss your individual health concerns with your Naturopathic Doctor.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE A COLD OR FLU?
|Fever||none or mild fever (around 38oC/100oF||almost always, often high, sudden onset, lasts 3-5 days|
|Headache||absent or mild||common|
|Muscle Aches||uncommon||common, often severe|
|Fatigue/Weakness||absent or mild, not enough to prevent daily activities||often extreme, may linger for 2-3 weeks post-infection|
|Cough||occasionally||common, may become severe|
|Runny Nose||common||rare, may occur in later stages|
|Stuffy Nose||common||rare, may occur in later stages|
|Sneezing||common especially in the initial stage||rare|
TOP 5 TIPS TO AVOID THE SNIFFLES
- Frequent and thorough hand washing with soap and water is recommended especially after coughing or sneezing. Sneeze into a tissue or if you do not have a tissue, use your sleeve.
- Wear a scarf. Scarves cover up the back of the neck which in Traditional Chinese Medicine theory is where we are most susceptible to colds and flus.
- Avoid sugar and simple carbohydrates like juice, white bread, bagels and croissants. Sugar suppresses the immune system and makes it harder to fend off and recover from infections.
- Sleep is sacred. Aim for 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. If you are having sleep difficulties or do shift work it is important to address these issues, pronto.
- Move. It could be walking, running, yoga, sports, etc but 30 mins of moderate activity per day circulates your immune cells through the body, flushes bacteria out of the lungs, raises body temperature temporarily to discourage bacterial growth and reduces stress hormones which wreak havoc on the immune system. Best yet, it make you feel and look good