A Castor Oil Pack is an inexpensive, at-home, self-care treatment for a number of health conditions. I most often recommend it for abdominal bloating, cramping and constipation or as part of a detox protocol. It is also fantastic when used regularly for uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Castor oil has been shown to increase circulation and promote elimination and healing of tissues and organs underneath the skin. It is particularly effective in being absorbed into lymph circulation, which can improve digestion, immune function, and reduce swelling in injured joints and extremities.
Using castor oil packs regularly as part of a self-care regime is also a great way to promote relaxation.
Read on to find out how you can make your very own castor oil pack.
- Castor Oil (hexane free, cold pressed)
- Small glass pan, with lid
- White flannel or cotton cloth large enough to cover the desired area
- Plastic, large enough to cover the flannel cloth (plastic bags are O.K.)
- Hot water bottle
- Old towels x 2
- Pour a small quantity of castor oil in the glass pan.
- Soak the flannel or cotton in the castor oil
- Heat the soaked flannel in the glass pan gently on a stove until warm
- Get comfortable lying down with a towel underneath you
- Place the flannel on the affected area (over the liver, abdomen, joint or extremity)
- Cover completely with plastic
- Place the hot water bottle over the plastic for 50-60 minutes
- Rest while the pack is in place
- After removal, cleanse the area with warm water and baking soda, if desired
- Store the pack in a sealed container in the refrigerator to reuse
- Apply the pack at least five of seven days (or as directed by your ND)
- Place castor oil directly on the desired area.
- Cover the area with cotton – such as an old t-shirt, white towel for abdomen or back, a sock for the ankle, etc. and rest for one hour or keep the area covered and go to bed.
Note: Castor oil may leave a stain on your clothing, wear old clothing while using your castor oil pack
DO NOT USE ON ABDOMEN DURING PREGNANCY OR MENSTRUATION
Additional Video Instructions